Meals & Nutrition
ALL STUDENTS EAT FOR FREE - REGARDLESS OF INCOME STATUS
During the 2021-2022 school year ALL STUDENTS, regardless of income status, may receive one FREE BREAKFAST and one FREE LUNCH each day they attend school. These meals are federally subsidized.
Non-program foods such as second meals, adult meals, and single menu items (milk, fruit, vegetable, chips, etc.) can be purchased via an online meal account or with a meal ticket purchased at the school office.
Adult Meals and Second Meals - Breakfast $2.50 / Lunch $3.50
Single Food Items - Entrée $2.00 / Fruit, Vegetable, or Side Dish $1.00 / Milk or Juice $0.50
RETURNING TO "ALMOST" NORMAL
We will once again follow the “Offer vs Serve” federal meal program, which requires each student to select from multiple menu options daily, including self-serve salad bars in the elementary schools.
Students will be socially distanced as much as the physical space and occupant capacity will allow. Custodial staff will clean tables and other high-touch areas throughout the day. Outdoor eating areas will be used whenever possible.
Students who attend Salt Lake Virtual Elementary and live within District boundaries will have the opportunity to arrange for breakfast and lunch via their neighborhood school, if desired.
MEAL SERVICE DURING AT-HOME ASYNCHRONOUS LEARNING DAYS (October 5, December 7, February 15, April 19)
SLCSD will make the following changes to provide school meals during the at-home asynchronous learning day:
1. Regular meal service operations will stop during the at-home asynchronous learning day.
2. All school kitchens will provide a FREE Grab-and-Go combination breakfast and lunch meal service during the hours of 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. Signs will be posted to direct the public to a designated pick-up area, normally an outside door to the school cafeteria.
3. School meals may be picked up by the student or their parent / guardian at any school site during the designated time of service.
4. Parents and students can refuse to take the milk offered with each combo meal. All other meal components will be pre-packaged.
5. A peanut free and meatless entrée substitute will be available when necessary. Meals for children with other special dietary needs will be provided upon special request. Contact our dietician, Brianna Hardisty R.D., via email at Brianna.Hardisty@slcschools.org or by phone (801) 974-8380 to make serving arrangements at least 24-hours before meal service.
NATIONAL SUPPLY-CHAIN DISRUPTIONS
We have recently been forced to make slight changes to our menus. Last-minute changes by distributors who have been unable to fulfill all the supplies we’ve ordered have required schools to alter published menus. Most of the meal substitutions have been limited and likely went unnoticed. It will be some time before we see an easing in national supply-chain disruptions, which suppliers say are due to not having enough workers to fulfill orders, and these shortages are influencing local distributors and manufacturers as well. Our district is working hard to ensure students have healthy food options throughout the school year. However, there will be days when your child(ren)'s preferred menu option may not be available. Thank you for your patience and continued support.
Salt Lake City School District also faces a shortage of lunchroom workers and has dozens of openings for anyone who may be looking for work. You can find job openings at https://www.slcschools.org/departments/human-resource-services.
FREE AND REDUCED MEAL BENEFITS APPLICATIONS
Parents are still encouraged to complete a free and reduced meal application. The free meal program offered this year does not qualify schools for crucial Title I funding (which is allocated to schools based on the number of students who apply and qualify for free or reduced meals), nor does it qualify individuals for “free or reduced” status. Therefore, households must still submit a Free or Reduced Meal Benefit Application (or directly certify) to qualify for Pandemic EBT funds, fee waivers, or any other local, state, or federal programs that require such status.
Online Meal Payment System
Parents can make online meal payments for the school cafeteria with no service fee. To read more about the program click on the brochure. If you want to start making payments click on the MyPaymentPlus link below: